Hey Jen!, a Lifestyle Blog by Jennifer Bruno

Hey Jen!

A Lifestyle Blog

And the World Spins Madly On

By Sunday, January 19, 2014 ,

Yesterday I attended the memorial service of a high school friend, Kendra Fendt, who lost her battle with pneumonia on January 9th, 2014. 

On November 11th of last year, Kendra (who was then pregnant with her only child) was admitted to Sacred Heart Hospital. She had developed the flu and pneumonia at the same time. Kendra's health declined fast and on November 12th, the doctors took her baby. Kendra was airlifted to UAB in Birmingham where she fought for her life for two months. She never got the chance to meet baby Meredith. She'll never hold or kiss or read stories to her miracle child who in turn will never meet the mother that dreamt of and prayed for her for so many years.

It just breaks my heart. For two months, it's been breaking my heart. Every day I watched the Praying for Kendra Fendt Facebook page, waiting and praying for that one post. The one where her father would say there was finally good news. The one where I would cry happy tears instead of sad ones. The one where she was awake, holding her newborn daughter. I waited for that post for two months. But instead we got one from her husband explaining that Kendra had passed away.

Her service was a touching, perfect memorial to a wonderful person that touched so many lives in her 32 short years. Her closest friends told stories of how they met Kendra and shared their favorite memories of her from hearing her beautiful voice in the Pensacola Children's Choir to her love of Florida State football. I laughed and I cried, often at the same time. Her friend Katie talked about the first time she heard Kendra sing. It was at a Homecoming Assembly my junior year at Pace High. I remember that day. Kendra sang the National Anthem. She brought chills with her voice. It was so beautiful. It was always beautiful when Kendra sang. I'll never forget that about her.

One thing I have learned from Kendra's story is that we never know when our time on Earth will be over. Will we all be here to see the sunrise tomorrow morning? Or the sunset tomorrow night? Will I see another new year? or 5? Or 30? No one knows.

So from today on, I am going to live differently. I'm going to appreciate every day. I'm going to find my path in this life and follow it. I'm going to surround myself with the people and things that make me happy. For me. For my family and friends. For Kendra.

Rest in peace, sweet girl. You will be missed.

You Might Also Like

0 comments