Hey Jen!, a Lifestyle Blog by Jennifer Bruno

Hey Jen!

A Lifestyle Blog

'Tis the Season

By Monday, December 09, 2013


Last year around this time, I was standing in a Starbucks line waiting to order. When I made it up to the counter, I placed my order for a grande caramel Frappachino. I pulled out my wallet and handed the cashier my credit card. She declined to take it, stating that the drink had already been paid for by the older woman (I would guess around 50) who had ordered before me. I was stunned. 

No stranger had ever done something like that for me before. I looked around for the lady that had just made my day and spotted her through the window getting into her car. She saw me look at her and smiled. I mouthed a "thank you" with a smile. She winked and drove away. I promised myself I would pay it forward when I got the chance (which I did a few days later).

This time of year, you'll find strangers opening their hearts and wallets all over the place. In the spirit of Christmas, I've listed a few things that anyone could do to make someone else's holiday better. Pick one and try it today!

1. Pay for someone's drink at Starbucks or their order at a fast food restaurant. (Obviously this one was coming)

2. Volunteer to drive an elderly person to their medical appointment.

3. Bake cookies or rice crispy treats for your neighbors. Leave them in the mailbox with a note about who they're from so they know it's safe to eat.

4. Leave quarters in gumball machines for kids to find.

5. Read to children in the hospital. Most hospitals will allow volunteers to read to the kids. Ask your local hospital for details.

6. Write a letter to a soldier. You can also send a care package. For more information, go to Operation Gratitude.

7. Buy a bunch of toys at a Dollar General and hand them out to kids at the mall. Sometimes kids are dragged around from store to store to do Christmas shopping with their parents. A new toy to play with might brighten their day a bit. (Be sure to let the parents know that you're giving their child a toy.)

8. Leave a large tip to your waitress/waiter at a restaurant. S/he will talk about that super generous customer for days!

9. Put holiday cards on car windshields in a parking lot.

10. Make a small basket with a card, fun foods, gum, toiletries, a scarf and/or bottled water and hand them out to the homeless.

If you have anything to add to our list, be sure to add them below. Happy Holidays!

You Might Also Like

0 comments